Asphalt roofing shingles are reliable, affordable and among the most popular roofing material in use today. Asphalt shingles make up 70% of the volume of roofing materials used in both single and multi-family residential new construction, roof repair and roof replacement projects.
There are many varieties of asphalt shingles, some designed specifically for certain types of roof designs.
In addition to maintaining the integrity of your roof’s structure and helping to keep out water, roofing shingles also add a tremendous amount of curb appeal and value to your home. The type of roofing shingles you choose can also affect your roof’s durability against wind, rain, hail, and other weather events.
Click HERE to learn more about the different types and styles of roofing shingles.
Benefits of Asphalt Shingle Roofing
Asphalt shingle roofing is incredibly popular for a reason. Here are some of the reasons why you might want shingle roof on your home:
- It’s affordable. Many homeowners are concerned about the cost of installing a new roof. By choosing an affordable roofing material, you can instantly slash costs for your project. Asphalt shingles are often the most economical option for many roofing projects.
- It’s effective. Of course, you wouldn’t want to install a roofing material on your home if it didn’t serve its purpose well, no matter how inexpensive it was. Asphalt shingles are an effective roofing material that serves its purpose well, standing up to the elements and keeping you safe and dry.
- It offers a traditional look. If you’re going for a more traditional look with your home, you might like asphalt shingles. Not only are they a popular roofing option now but they have been popular for many years. Many homeowners feel that they lend a more traditional look than Metal roofing or some of the other options that are out there.
- It’s available in different colors and styles. Although you might have a certain style in mind when you think about asphalt shingles, the truth is that they come in a wide variety of options. Black and brown are popular choices, but you can also choose asphalt shingles in colors like blue, red or green. In addition to choosing a color that complements your siding and shutter colors well, you can also choose the shape and style that you think will look best on your home.
- Individual shingles can be replaced. Good-quality asphalt shingles that are properly installed should last for many years, but they can sometimes be damaged by issues that are out of your control. If just a couple of shingles are damaged by the weather, you can have just the damaged shingles replaced. This is not an easy option with some roofing types, such as traditional metal roofing.
- It’s relatively easy to install. Installing your own roof is not a good idea if you don’t have roofing experience. If you are concerned about labor charges when installing a new roof, though, you’ll probably be happy to know that asphalt shingle roofing is one of the easier options for roofing installations. Asphalt shingles are easier to handle and they can typically be installed quickly and easily by someone with roofing experience. This can help you save on labor costs during your roofing installation, and it can help you ensure your project is completed relatively quickly, too.