Imagine for a second that you’re leaving for work one morning when you spot a few shingles lying on the front lawn of your Connecticut home. The storm last night didn’t seem too severe, but as you look up at your roof there are missing or damaged shingles everywhere.
This isn’t how any homeowner wants to start their day, especially if your roof isn’t old. But even the best roofs can struggle to hold up to the elements, which, as we all know, can include:
- High winds
- Heavy rain, snow, ice
- Extreme temperatures
- Unruly trees or shrubbery
Got Missing or Damaged Shingles? Call a Roofing Contractor Now!
Even if it doesn’t look like you need a full roof replacement your roofing contractor friends here at MJT Roofing want to stress the importance of regular maintenance and not taking any roofing issues for granted. Ignoring the issue or putting it off until later could take a small problem now and turn it into a bigger and more costly issue down the road.
Don’t believe us? Here are five roofing problems you can expect with missing or damaged shingles.
1. Leaks - When roof shingles get blown off or are damaged, that watertight, wind resistant seal is officially compromised. As a result, increased moisture can soak into the roofing materials beneath the shingles. The more missing or damaged shingles there are, the more likely your roof will develop leaks.
2. Damage to the rest of your home Leaks won’t stay limited to the roof itself or even adding excess moisture to your attic. Water will damage bedrooms, living areas, kitchens, etc. It destroys furniture, sheet rock, electrical wiring and creates dangerous mold and mildew.
3.Devaluing your home Roofs with missing or damaged shingles look bad to you as the homeowner and everyone who drives by. If you plan to sell your property, you’ll want to get a roof replacement now to increase your home ’s value and make it more attractive to potential buyers. At a minimum, you’ll want to ask a reputable roofing contractor like MJT Roofing to replace the missing or damaged shingles.
4. Higher energy bills- Missing or damaged shingles make your HVAC system work harder to keep the inside of your home cool in the summer and warm in the winter. As a result, you can expect your energy bills to soar every month until the roofing problem is resolved.
5. Pests Most people don’t consider this hazard when they have roofing issues. But missing or dam- aged shingles create an easy access point for rodents, insects, and other pests.
Regular roof inspections are important. If left unattended, your roof and all the parts that make up the integrity of your roofing system can quickly fail and cause common roof problems that no one wants to deal with.
Call MJT Roofing today!
At MJT Roofing we hop on your roof and provide a thorough inspection of anything that may have been damaged. If everything looks great, we’ll continue to check in periodically. If there is significant enough damage, we will walk you through the next few steps to get started on roof repair and replacement.
Over the next several weeks and months, we ll continue to publish helpful content to our blog page so that MJT Roofing can be a go to resource for you!